Meselech Melkamu breaks course record, Tesfaye Abera wins Hamburg
Ethiopia’s Meselech Melkamu smashed the course record by more than two minutes in the Haspa Marathon Hamburg. Finishing in 2:21:54 despite windy conditions she made a strong statement regarding the selection of Ethiopia’s marathon Olympic team. Fellow-Ethiopian and defending champion Meseret Hailu was second with 2:26:26 while Germany’s Anja Scherl caused an upset with a tremendous run for third place. Improving by more than eight minutes to 2:27:50 she has secured Olympic selection.
Ethiopia’s Tesfaye Abera took the men’s race in 2:06:58. Achieving his second marathon win this year after taking Dubai in a world lead of 2:04:23, he should gain selection for the Olympic team. Kenyans Philemon Rono and Josphat Kiprono followed in second and third with 2:07:20 and 2:10:44 respectively.
Women’s Race: Fast Pace from the Start
“I think that without the wind I could have run under 2:20 today because it’s a fast course. This was one of the best performances of my career. I hope it will be enough to win Olympic selection,” said the 30 year old Meselech Melkamu, who is also the African record holder at 10,000m. She improved the course record by Netsanet Abeyo by 2:18 minutes. The fellow-Ethiopian ran 2:24:12 in 2012.
1. Tesfaye Abera ETH 2:06:58
2. Philemon Rono KEN 2:07:20
3. Josphat Kiprono KEN 2:10:44
4. Abayneh Ayele ETH 2:11:49
5. Merhawi Kesete ERI 2:12:21
6. Ezekiel Chebii KEN 2:12:45
7. Ivan Fernandez ESP 2:12:55
8. Abdelhadi El Hachimi BEL 2:13:10
1. Meselech Melkamu ETH 2:21:54
2. Meseret Hailu ETH 2:26:26
3. Anja Scherl GER 2:27:50
4. Monika Stefanowicz POL 2:28:26
5. Madai Perez MEX 2:29:27
6. Kelly Arias COL 2:29:36
7. Sarah Chepchirchir KEN 2:30:08
8. Adriana da Silva BRA 2:31:23